Thursday 10 March 2011

More about Allan and Mary

I thought maybe my search was over, the oldest Scottish Census is from 1841.
I searched and search, and I came across one entry.
It was for an Allan Macaskill that was about 22 years old.  Working on a Farm in Drimore, South Uist.
He was Single...I wasn't sure if this was my Allan Macaskill, even thought he address was the same.
I then looked at others in the household and came across, Mary Mackillag.  It appears that this was his wife.
Mary was working at the Maciellan farm as well this is where they must of met, fell in love and then got married.


Name:Allan Macaskill
Age:22
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1819
Gender:Male
Where born:Inverness, Scotland
Civil parish:South Uist
County:Inverness
Address:Drimore
Occupation:Ag Lab
Parish Number:118
Household Members:
NameAge
John Maclellan54
Penelope Maclellan43
Archy Maclellan18
Mary Maclellan15
Ann Maclellan13
Donald Maclellan10
John Smith80
Rachael Macaulay56
Niel Macphee26
John Maclellan25
Angus MacPhie24
Allan Macaskill22
Donald Maclellan23
Ann Maclellan26
Mary Walker12
Mary MacKillag22


That's it...that is as far as back as I can find.
There are no more census records in Scotland.  I looked over the Catholic Church records but couldn't find anything.
That's it for now...maybe more later...
Don McCaskell


No comments:

Post a Comment