Tuesday 8 March 2011

Great Great Grandparents

I knew my Great, Great Grandfather (now referred to as Great Grandfather 2X) name was Archie.
I had heard that he had dies young and had married someone named Ellen.
That was about it.
The searching was difficult.
I couldn't seem to find anything about Archie.

I had thought that his Mothers name was Collie...or so I thought.
Then I stumbled across a Marriage certificate for an Archie that identified his wife's name Ellen Collie.
So it wasn't his mother's madden name it was his wife's.  The last name was spelled incorrectly, but that didn;t seem too uncommon.


Name:Archie McKaskill
Spouse Name:Ellen Coolie
Marriage Date:11 Dec 1873
Marriage Location:Ingersoll
Registration Number:46465
Archives of Ontario Microfilm:MS932_11
Source:Indexed by: Genealogical Research Library


I dug further and by chance came across more info from the marriage certificate.  This one I hit the jackpot because it listed Archie'e parents:  Allen McCaskill and Mary McCaskill.
This one was hard to find because they really spelled his name wrong:

Name:Archy Mckiskell
Birth Place:Scotland
Age:22
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1851
Father Name:Allan Mckiskell
Mother Name:Mary Mckiskell
Spouse Name:Ellen Coolie
Spouse's Age:20
Spouse Birth Place:Canada
Spouse Father Name:Wm Coolie
Spouse Mother Name:Allen Coolie
Marriage Date:11 Dec 1873
Marriage Location:Oxford
Marriage County:Oxford
Archives of Ontario Microfilm:MS932_10



It was a great find....and it led me down many a searches to find more info on Allan and Mary...but that's a different story...more on Archie.

I then found the 1871 Census that hit another jackpot.  Archie's siblings: John, Mary, Margaret and Catherine.  It was weird that in this Census it looked like Archie had passed because he was absent.


So I knew Archie's wife, his parents and now his brothers and sisters.
I just needed to find out when he passed.
I found it...this time they misspelled his name again...Archibald McCascill...but everything matched.
he passed when he was only 37. ... young guy.



It said he died of consumption.  I thought it was to do with drinking, but it was Tuberculosis.

I found out more info about Ellen as well...Turns out she remarried...John Howe and had 2 more boys, John and James.

I must have been difficult for William, Archie's son when his dad passed.  He was around 10 years old.  Maybe that is why he left home around 13 and started working on a farm...hard to say.

More to come on Archies Dad and Mom...
Don McCaskell

No comments:

Post a Comment